Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Garden Journal

We had a great stretch of weather last week - for several days it would rain around evening and be sunny during the day. The plants loved it and shot up in growth. We had to water for the first time in a while this morning, but God also gave us plenty of water tonight with some thundershowers.



The last batch of peas I planted are up, as is the spinach, mesclun mix, yellow beans and loofah. The earlier batch of peas and beans are starting to wrap themselves around the pole supports. I think we need to plant earlier next year that we did this year. The butterfly weed I planted doesn't seem to be doing anything, but maybe it will surprise me yet. We've been enjoying the blueberries as they've ripened but I think the birds got to our raspberries before we could harvest any.



There have been some "marauding varmints" as I sort of affectionately call the deer that venture up from the valley to our street. (Seriously, though, they have a whole valley to eat from. Why do they need to snack on our garden?!) They mowed down the lamb's ear, nibbled one of our pepper plants in half and taken some bites of our beans and tomatoes. Grrr!


I'm not sure about our carrot crop this year - I don't think we'll have as many as last year and it will be surprising if we get any loofah since we planted it late, but you never know. We're still in the experimental and learning stage of our gardening and I'm sure God will have much to teach us along the way.

No comments: