Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Apple Cider Vinegar

It may sound kooky but the stuff seriously does work wonders! In the past, when I'd read or heard about certain home remedies it sounded like more of sham or just a little too crazy to try out. Maybe you've even seen the books on the many uses and applications of apple cider vinegar and passed it off with a "yeah, right, I'm sure it really works" (said or thought in a sarcastic tone). If so, hold the skepticism, pass the cider vinegar and try it one when one of the following situations presents itself. (If you do try it out, please share your experience under this post in the comments section)

Note: I use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar - it's unfiltered and unpasteurized so has more of the effective things (that's the technical term for whatever makes it work!) in it, but there are other brands available, too. The cheaper kinds you find in most grocery stores may work to a certain extent, but I can't vouch for it since I've only used Bragg's. You may need to go to a natural foods store, organics section of a grocery store (or the Internet) to find it. As I'm not a medical doctor and have never been to medical school, please check with your doctor, pharmacist or naturopath first if you have any medical conditions which may be adversly affected by an unpasteurized product.


Sore throat: Slightly dilute the cider vinegar with some water and gargle at the first sign of a sore throat. I (and others in my family who've tried this) found it to work most effectively when you first feel like a cold or sore throat is coming on. However, even if it's full-blown, it still hels. Try gargling several times a day and it seems to help the symptoms go away faster.

Acne: I tried this on a whim. (For those of you who've seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" just substitue the apple cider vinegar for Windex and you get the picture). When you spot a pimple, pour some cider vinegar on a cotton ball (dilute with some water if you like) and brush over your skin. When I've done this in the evening, by the next morning, the redness is gone! A few more swabs and the pimple disappears.

1st Degree Burns: When you've touched something hot - stove, iron, etc. immediately pour some apple cider vinegar over the spot and it helps the burned area from blistering. My mom did this after she burned a large area of her hand - something that normally might leave a scar - and her hand healed completely. I've tried this on myself and my children and have found it to be effective. Plus, because the pure cider vinegar requires refridgeration after opening, it feels soothing to have the cool liquid poured on it.

Mosquito Bites/Poison Ivy: Dilute the cider vinegar by half with water and bath the affected areas with the solutions. It helps take away the itch, though you may need to do this several times for permanent relief. My husband had a good case of poison ivy and used this remedy to relieve the itching.

These are the four areas where I've personally seen the effectiveness of the cider vinegar, but given the size of the Bragg Cider Vinegar book, this is only the tip of the iceberg. At minimum, you have something that's good to use in your cooking. ;)

What are your experiences or maybe hesitations in using apple cider vinegar? Share your thoughts in the comments section under this post.

No comments: